Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Silly and inventive

I'm breaking all the rules today, don't tell the librarians. It's a long, 4-day weekend of being glad to just get away from all that cleaning, and feeling inspired to get back to it all the same. We never made it out of town last weekend, despite my plans and predictions. Just got too dark, and staying home felt familiar, sometimes that happens.

I'm not the best cook, but I'm going to pull some family favorites from my childhood out of my hat. Scalloped corn being the greatest memory ever had, despite all that extra fun butter. If I was really feeling sentimental, which I prefer over nostalgic, I'd accompany the pumpkin pie with cherry dessert. Straight from Grandma's kitchen, where all memories of nourishment land.

Growing up, hate to call on flashbacks, but most of our holiday dinners were pretty silent. My dad cooked everything up, had all the spirit of a genuine, true Catholic...but marriage troubles always prevalent, it was the flow of conversation we always lacked. We three kids were so accomodating, we got through each meal as if silence was the best bonding ever invented.

It's a fortunate position to be in, to be able to recreate all the good traditions, and leave behind all the bad. Not always perfectly executed, but every year allows for another real chance. I'm so in love with the annual opportunity to decide that life REALLY DOES have magic. Worth more than all those people out there who bother to make cranberries from scratch...mine's content in a can.

No comments: