Friday, May 15, 2009

Large Families

The Catholics do it, and why you should too. I've studied many a blog in my day, during the "what kind of mother shalt I be" lengthy stage. My favorites were always the Catholic mothers of nine. Usually ready to pop, homes in order (of course, why not?), I always envied the fact that they were such great cooks. And that they celebrated the Holy Days and I didn't get to.

Mainly, I was always there looking for recipes, my handicap of how to nourish my family, all by myself, never seemed able to pinpoint that confidence. Sorta know why, but won't say so this time. Anyway, of course I liked the homeschoolers the best, because then I could fully identify. Sending nine kids to school is easier in a way, homeschooling them is just better.

So, it's always nice to know that there are other women out there who have extremely large families, on a day-to-day basis it doesn't bother me though. Much lore exists about people's reactions to those with large families, most involving witty attacks like, "haven't you ever heard of birth control?" And yes, women with large families have opinions on that, as well.

I don't run into much of a problem in my small town, though I'd expect to in some bigger cities. Oh well, that's how it goes. Regardless, I always know deep in my own heart, where few ever enter, that having a large family means you're blessed. In more ways than you can ever know until you embrace it.

There are plenty of links I could direct you all to, maybe later I guess. Explaining the importance of siblings, the security of a lifetime of cousins, so many unique personalities to challenge you to grow and strengthen your soul. People imagine chaos and disorder, their own justifications for why they won't or can't have large families are what's really behind it all.

It took one interaction on an airplane for me as a teenager to decide my life was, well, mine. A man was traveling on business, he was more like a guy. His kids were almost grown, it always happens so fast, and he said, "I wish I'd had more." I'm so glad I met that guy who wished he'd had more.

He was speaking for his own self, not even his wife, just knowing what's important in life, and he was a guy. That stuck with me, beyond all religious reasoning (of which there is much), that children are a blessing, worth all the effort, you'll see that in time.

No comments: